Skip to main content

A Link Between topicmodels LDA and LDAvis

Carson Sievert and Kenny Shirley have put together the really nice LDAvis R package. It provides a Shiny-based interactive interface for exploring the output from Latent Dirichlet Allocation topic models. If you've never used it, I highly recommend checking out their XKCD example (this paper also has some nice background).

LDAvis doesn't fit topic models, it just visualises the output. As such it is agnostic about what package you use to fit your LDA topic model. They have a useful example of how to use output from the lda package.

I wanted to use LDAvis with output from the topicmodels package. It works really nicely with texts preprocessed using the tm package. The trick is extracting the information LDAvis requires from the model and placing it into a specifically structured JSON formatted object.

To make the conversion from topicmodels output to LDAvis JSON input easier, I created a linking function called topicmodels_json_ldavis. The full function is below. To use it follow these steps:

  1. Create a VCorpus object using the tm package's Corpus function.

  2. Convert this to a document term matrix using DocumentTermMatrix, also from tm.

  3. Run your model using topicmodel's LDA function.

  4. Convert the output into JSON format using topicmodels_json_ldavis. The function requires the output from steps 1-3.

  5. Visualise with LDAvis' serVis.

Comments

titaniumtroop said…
At line 32, the method 'inspect' should instead by 'as.matrix', because inspect just provides a sample.
titaniumtroop said…
Nice post!

Popular posts from this blog

Slide: one function for lag/lead variables in data frames, including time-series cross-sectional data

I often want to quickly create a lag or lead variable in an R data frame. Sometimes I also want to create the lag or lead variable for different groups in a data frame, for example, if I want to lag GDP for each country in a data frame.I've found the various R methods for doing this hard to remember and usually need to look at old blogposts. Any time we find ourselves using the same series of codes over and over, it's probably time to put them into a function. So, I added a new command–slide–to the DataCombine R package (v0.1.5).Building on the shift function TszKin Julian posted on his blog, slide allows you to slide a variable up by any time unit to create a lead or down to create a lag. It returns the lag/lead variable to a new column in your data frame. It works with both data that has one observed unit and with time-series cross-sectional data.Note: your data needs to be in ascending time order with equally spaced time increments. For example 1995, 1996, 1997. ExamplesNot…

Showing results from Cox Proportional Hazard Models in R with simPH

Update 2 February 2014: A new version of simPH (Version 1.0) will soon be available for download from CRAN. It allows you to plot using points, ribbons, and (new) lines. See the updated package description paper for examples. Note that the ribbons argument will no longer work as in the examples below. Please use type = 'ribbons' (or 'points' or 'lines'). Effectively showing estimates and uncertainty from Cox Proportional Hazard (PH) models, especially for interactive and non-linear effects, can be challenging with currently available software. So, researchers often just simply display a results table. These are pretty useless for Cox PH models. It is difficult to decipher a simple linear variable’s estimated effect and basically impossible to understand time interactions, interactions between variables, and nonlinear effects without the reader further calculating quantities of interest for a variety of fitted values.So, I’ve been putting together the simPH R p…

Quick and Simple D3 Network Graphs from R

Sometimes I just want to quickly make a simple D3 JavaScript directed network graph with data in R. Because D3 network graphs can be manipulated in the browser–i.e. nodes can be moved around and highlighted–they're really nice for data exploration. They're also really nice in HTML presentations. So I put together a bare-bones simple function–called d3SimpleNetwork for turning an R data frame into a D3 network graph. ArgumentsBy bare-bones I mean other than the arguments indicating the Data data frame, as well as the Source and Target variables it only has three arguments: height, width, and file. The data frame you use should have two columns that contain the source and target variables. Here's an example using fake data:Source <- c("A", "A", "A", "A", "B", "B", "C", "C", "D") Target <- c("B", "C", "D", "J", "E", "F", &…